A wonderful pair of 1950s Italian Cherrywood chairs attributed to Paolo Buffa
A wonderful pair of 1950s Italian Cherrywood chairs attributed to Paolo Buffa with sculptural curved arms and upholstered in acid green fabric.
Born in Milan in 1903, Buffa trained at the Politecnico di Milano. Following his graduation in 1927, he worked briefly for Gio Ponti, and in 1928, he partnered with architect Antonio Cassi Ramelli (1905-1980) to establish their own design studio in Milan.
By 1936, Paolo Buffa opened his own independent studio incorporating more traditionally Neoclassical designs, motifs or materials like rich rosewoods and velveteen fabrics with the relatively avant-garde forms and themes of a the newly emerging Art Deco style.
Popular with the upper classes who wanted to convey their connection with contemporary design trends while also upholding an old world flair.
After World War 2 Buffa built close collaborations with Lombardy’s craftsmen with the objective of making furniture of exceptional quality at a larger scale.
Among these craftsmen were Ebony specialist Mario Quarti and cabinetmakers Mose Turri di Bovisio, Fratelli Lietti, Serafino Arrighi, Colico, and Angelo Marelli, who later established his own furniture company Eredi Marelli in 1934.
in the 1950’s and 60’s, Buffa experimented with designs that echoed the rising trends of Minimalism across the art and design fields
He died in 1970
Height: 73 cm
Width: 62 cm
Depth: 80 cm
Seat Height 36cm
Condition: Good orignal condition
Product Code: CHR 140
Please note that delivery/shipping is not included in the price of this item.
Purchases can be picked up from the shop by appointment or we're happy to arrange delivery/shipping.